Wednesday 7 May 2014

Semi-Interesting Seminars

A lot of trade shows and virtually all conferences include seminars as part of their programme. Why? Do people seriously want to sit there and listen to someone stand at the front of the room and talk at them for an hour?

I mean, honestly now, don’t you get bored? Wouldn’t you rather walk around and talk to people? See things? Drink coffee???  I don’t know maybe it’s just me... Must be that leftover ‘kid in the back of a classroom’ mentality.

And yet I turn up to them. More than that, I enjoy them. On occasion of course ;)

So it got me thinking, what is it that actually makes people go to seminars. Is it the speaker or is it the content? Would you be willing to sit through a boring delivery if the content was strong? Or would you rather listen to a good speaker discussing an utterly useless to you topic?

I think that for me, much like a lot of other people, it’ll be a mixture of the two. You’d want the speaker to be engaging and fun and not have a horribly annoying voice but at the same time you’d want him/her to talk about something interesting to you or at least something that will help you in your job or life. Otherwise, what’s stopping you from getting up and going to the nearest Starbucks?

No comments:

Post a Comment